Skip to content

Border Blogs & News

Blogs and news from the borders of America.

Menu
  • Home
  • El Paso News
  • El Paso Herald Post
  • Fronterizo News
Menu

Border Report – New port of entry won’t be done in time as US has yet to start work on its side of the border

Posted on April 18, 2024

SAN DIEGO (Border Report) — The Otay Mesa East Port of Entry, slated to open late this year, will not begin operations for at least another year, according to Baja California Gov. Marina del Pilar Ávila Olmeda.

She blamed construction delays on the U.S. side of the border where the San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) and the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) have yet to begin work on the crossing, which was supposed to be done by September.

So far, a new highway connecting the future border crossing with the rest of San Diego’s highway system is almost done, but construction of the actual port of entry hasn’t started.

“We’re almost done with the infrastructure work on our side,” Ávila Olmeda said. “We’re about to start installing operational equipment.”


US way behind schedule building new Otay Mesa port of entry, Baja governor says

The project on the U.S. side of the border is expect to cost $1.2 billion, said Mario Orso, project manager with Caltrans.

He told the San Diego Union-Tribune delays are due to discussions with federal agencies regarding roles and responsibilities for the maintenance and operation of the port of entry.

“We already hired designers, we have the funds available for construction, and now we are waiting for the green light by Customs and Border Protection and the General Services Administration to officially begin designing the port of entry,” Orso said.


Planned California port of entry hits financial snag, opening likely delayed

Back in November, U.S. Rep. Juan Vargas, D-California, who represents the area where the crossing is to be built, doubted the port of entry would be done in time, saying, “It would be the first time Mexico did something that we didn’t. It would be entirely and awfully embarrassing.”

At the time he blamed budget squabbles in Washington for a delay in providing the money to begin construction.


Visit the BorderReport.com homepage for the latest exclusive stories and breaking news about issues along the U.S.-Mexico border

When finished, the crossing will have 10 lanes to accommodate both passenger vehicles and commercial trucks.

A toll will be required in both directions, and the money is to be split between the Mexican and U.S. governments.

 Read: Read More 

Recent Posts

  • Tech Crunch – Jensen Huang says he’s found a ‘brand new’ $200B market for Nvidia
  • Tech Crunch – Anthropic says it’s about to have its first profitable quarter
  • KTSM News – Las Cruces Public Schools rebrand former Cesar Chavez Elementary
  • Texas Monthly – Mock funeral mourns death of academic freedom as UT System weighs rule on cutting programs
  • Border Report – Ohio woman acquitted of illegally voting as noncitizen

El Paso News

El Paso News delivers independent news and analysis about politics and public policy in El Paso, Texas. Go to El Paso News

Politico Campaigns

Are you a candidate running for office? Politico Campaigns is the go-to for all your campaign branding and technology needs.

Go to Politico Campaigns

Custom Digital Art

My name is Martín Paredes and I create custom, Latino-centric digital art. If you need custom artwork for your marketing, I'm the person to call. Check out my portfolio

©2026 Border Blogs & News | Design: Newspaperly WordPress Theme