Skip to content

Border Blogs & News

Blogs and news from the borders of America.

Menu
  • Home
  • El Paso News
  • El Paso Herald Post
  • Fronterizo News
Menu

KTSM News – NM Attorney General to address potential price gouging for those affected by wildfires

Posted on June 26, 2024

EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) — New Mexico Attorney General Raúl Torrez will be holding a press conference Wednesday morning, June 26, to announce the New Mexico Department of Justice’s efforts to prevent and investigate potential price gouging within Lincoln County, aiding those affected by the South Fork and Salt Fires. 

The South Fork Fire is estimated to be at 17,569 acres with 64 percent containment and the Salt Fire is estimated to be at 7,939 acres with 55 percent containment, the Forestry Division said Wednesday morning.

The Forestry Division says scattered showers and thunderstorms will return Wednesday afternoon which increases the risk of flash floods and debris flow.

The Village of Ruidoso provided an update on the number of missing people as a result of the fires Tuesday evening, June 25, and has revised the number of missing people down to 11.

The number of fatalities still stands at two, according to a spokesperson.

The Forestry Division says an interactive property map is now available for the Village of Ruidoso to assist residents in identifying areas that are accessible.

To access that map, click here: Village of Ruidoso interactive property map.

The New Mexico Forestry Division is also asking residents and visitors to celebrate the Fourth of July without fireworks.

The Forestry Division says the Mescalero Apache Reservation, Lincoln National Forest, and municipal areas have areas that have not received significant rainfall, and fireworks could start new fires.

“Please celebrate without fireworks this year, so firefighters can complete their efforts to secure the perimeter of the South Fork and Salt fires,” the Forestry Division said.

The Forestry Division is also reminding motorists to slow down while traveling on the Mescalero Apache Reservation due to fire personnel, equipment, and utility vehicles working along US Highway 70.

“A lot of activity is still occurring across the fire area as crews work through structural assessments of buildings impacted by the fire, mop up, and begin suppression repair. Cooperators, including utility providers and others, are also traveling within the fire area. Area and neighborhood status and conditions are dynamic and will remain that way through the duration of the incident,” the Forestry Division said.

Twelve team members from El Paso Electric, including linemen and safety representatives traveled to Ruidoso on Tuesday to assist the Public Service Company of New Mexico (PNM) with power restoration.

Crews are tentatively scheduled to be in Ruidoso for 14 days. Their main priority is to restore power and do it safely and as efficiently as possible, El Paso Electric said.

PNM says around 1,500 of 10,000 power poles have been destroyed or damaged by the wildfires. An additional 50 miles of power lines have also been damaged or destroyed.

PNM also says it stopped billing and automatic drafting of payments for customers impacted by the wildfires.

No evacuations are currently in place. However, there will be some areas that are considered “no entry/exclusion zones” that will not be accessible to residents because they are considered crime scenes, according to the Village of Ruidoso’s Facebook page.

The Village of Ruidoso says that search-and-rescue teams have identified potential fatalities that could add to the number of deaths. These areas will also be secured by officers.

The FBI’s Albuquerque Field Office announced this past weekend that it’s offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for starting the fires.

A South Fork Fire Emergency Closure Order was issued last week for national forest lands within the Smokey Bear Ranger District. The identified areas, roads, and trails are closed to the public.

A temporary flight restriction is also in place over the fire area. This prohibits any and all drone use by the public.

Tribal members who have been displaced outside of the Mescalero Apache Reservation can contact the Tribe’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC) to help them get back to the reservation.

Those who are stranded out of town at other evacuation sites can call the EOC at (575) 464-9214 for more details. 

For those seeking reunification with friends and loved ones, call the Red Cross at 1-800-733-2767.

Residents returning who need food, water, personal hygiene items, or toiletries can click here: www.ruidoso-nm.gov/south-fork-fire.

For the latest on road closures, click here and scroll to the “Evacuations” section: https://www.ruidoso-nm.gov/south-fork-fire.

 Read: Read More 

Recent Posts

  • KTSM News – Talarico calls for comprehensive immigration reform during visit to El Paso
  • KTSM News – 13 Anthony HS band students qualify for state
  • Tech Crunch – Sam Altman would like remind you that humans use a lot of energy, too
  • KTSM News – Gila NF to hire for seasonal support positions in all districts
  • El Chuqueño Blog – “Where Texas Begins”

El Paso News

El Paso News delivers independent news and analysis about politics and public policy in El Paso, Texas. Go to El Paso News

Politico Campaigns

Are you a candidate running for office? Politico Campaigns is the go-to for all your campaign branding and technology needs.

Go to Politico Campaigns

Custom Digital Art

My name is Martín Paredes and I create custom, Latino-centric digital art. If you need custom artwork for your marketing, I'm the person to call. Check out my portfolio

©2026 Border Blogs & News | Design: Newspaperly WordPress Theme